Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Opinion: Why I Support Developing WP

There's a post on Curbed today about DWP. Joey at Curbed is correct that I don't work for the Mayor nor do I work for the Mets. I am just a Mets fan who thought the letter from Councilman Monserrate opposing the development of Willets Point made absolutely no sense. That alone inspired me to start up this blog.

Now it may sound a little selfish of me, a Mets fan, to say what should happen in the neighborhood next to Shea Stadium. But as a resident of the city and a lifelong Mets fan, I've long felt that Willets Point is a completely missed opportunity. I don't agree with everything Mayor Bloomberg proposes, but in this particular case I think he's hit the nail on the head. Between the Mets season, the US Open, and the potential concerts that could take place at Citi Field - not sure how many there will be, but it's at least possible - a neighborhood like the one proposed by the Mayor could be of great benefit to the city.

I also appreciate the Mayor's proposal on environmental grounds. NYC has the opportunity here to develop a completely green neighborhood that could serve as a model for what other areas of the city could be in the future.

And last but not least, although Curbed speculated about my true identity, I am unfortunately not the left-handed ace who will be appearing on the mound this evening for the New York Metropolitans.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home